Search

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spelt, egg, rice cheese, & tomato breakfast sandwich

My mom use to make us egg, cheese, and tomato sandwiches when we were younger. That's probably why it's one of my favorite breakfast meals to make. Hmm, now that I think about it, I think it's the first meal I made for Dillon when we were first dating. But, I haven't been making it lately because I'm trying to eat less dairy and wheat products, but once in awhile I'll spoil myself by making one. And this version will let me cheat more often!
I, like most Asians I know, am lactose intolerant. Of course that usually doesn't stop me from eating cheese (Lactaid to the rescue!). But I do try to use alternatives whenever I can. I recently discovered rice cheese. It's supposedly vegan and also soy free--another thing I'm trying to avoid--and it actually tastes okay. Well, it tastes okay after it's been melted. The rice cheese crumbs a little and you can tell it's not real cheese if you just eat it cold.

Gluten is another thing that I'm trying to avoid, although I'm having little success. I'm a total bread lover, but I know that if I'm going to eat anything with gluten I'll have to deal with the consequences. Why is everything that is bad for you, tastes so good?! Gluten-free bread is so expensive so I'll only purchase it once in a while. I haven't really had a problem with spelt bread even though spelt is in the gluten grains family. I love Trader Joe's organic spelt bread. It's reasonable priced at $2.99, the bread is not dense, only has 2g of sugar per slice, and is really tasty.

Ingredients:

  • 2 slices of spelt bread, or any bread of your choice
  • 1 slice of rice cheese
  • 1 fried egg, you can just use egg whites too
  • 1 fat slice of tomato, I like beefsteak tomatoes
  • mayo (optional)
  • salt & pepper to taste
The egg will melt the rice cheese or you can just pop the rice cheese on the egg before you take it off the pan. And I usually just put a little bit of salt & pepper on the tomato instead of sprinkling it on the egg. Enjoy!

"Cooking with Trader Joe's Cook Book Skinny Dish"

No comments:

Post a Comment