Search

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Korean Pancake


I don't know if I would consider myself a foodie, but I love cooking, eating, and drinking--so maybe I am a foodie. I, by all means, do not think I am the best cook in the world (Dillon thinks I am, but he thinks I'm great at everything *mwah*) but I have been trying to be better at it. First of all, it is always cheaper to cook at home than it is to go out. And second, I'd rather hang out at home. Maybe in a few months when I have the svelte body I want (hitting the gym & hitting it hard) I'll be more up for going out.

This first recipe is my version of the Korean pancake. NOBODY makes it better than my mom, but unfortunately she is 2,338 miles away (yup, I know the exact distance, I miss her lots). I've watched YouTube videos, read blogs, and dissected the pancake that I've had at restaurants and I've come up with my version which is easy and tasty (well, all of them are pretty darn tasty).

Ingredients:
  • 2 green onions, sliced (diagonally, makes it look pretty)
  • 1 medium, red onion, sliced (or white, yellow....i just like the color and the peppery taste)
  • 1-2 red chili pepper, chopped (again, it's more about the color. jalapenos would work too) 
  • 1 medium to large zucchini, julienne (with a mandolin or just julienne it yourself)
  • canola oil for frying
  • half cup to cup of Korean pancake mix (depends on how much batter you want)
  • water (errr...1 to 2 cups... maybe more!)

(just a side note, i don't really measure.. maybe i will in the future if i get serious about this, so pls. bear with me. :P)


chop, chop, chop!

Step 1: chop, slice, and julienne all the veggies. Oh, and feel free to use whatever veggies you want. Most recipes call for zucchini, but you can use whatever veggies you love.

Step 2: mix the batter up in a large mixing bowl. You don't want the batter to be like the pancakes you eat with syrup, it needs to be a little bit more fluid than that. (oh geez, i'm terrible at giving directions.. hahah..)

Step 3: mix in all the veggies with the batter!


Step 4: put a generous amount of canola oil in a heated pan. I might have gone a little over board on the oil when I made these, but it wasn't too bad. I made some pancake size ones and some smaller patty-size. I think that the larger size came out a lot better, but I just need some practice. :X So anyway, fry until golden brown. Or crispy brown, whichever you prefer.



Step 5: EAT! Well, first you want them to drain & cool on a cooling rack OR just on some paper towels. The only problem with paper towels is that the pancakes are a little sticky. 

YUM, i ate it all!
I was too lazy to make a sauce, so all I did was dip the pancake in ponzu sause (citrus soy sauce). I enjoyed making this and of course eating it. :P

yeaaah.. stool in the background..hmm..

No comments:

Post a Comment